Thursday, April 15, 2010

Things To Do


As promised I said there would be a blog about things to do in Lander that are not organized events. In looking over the list, one thing is obvious; you have to love the outdoors. Recreational activities in the area focus on the natural environment and all it has to offer. In the winter it’s cold and snowy which means there is a lot of fun to be had sledding, snow mobiling, cross country skiing, ice fishing and ice skating. During the rest of the year there’s hiking/backpacking, rock climbing, road/mountain biking, fishing, camping, horseback riding, hunting, and exploring nearby historic sites.

This suits me just fine, give me a stretch of river and a fishing pole, preferably a fly rod, and I'm content. Or my bike to ride, or a trail to hike…I think you get the idea that I like being in the outdoors. For those who think a day of shopping at the mall is their idea of fun Lander is not the place for you. No malls, Walmart is 24 miles away in Riverton and the nearest large box stores are 150 miles away in Casper. Now if you like exploring mom & pop stores with interesting names you're in the right place.

Besides the recreational activities you'll find groups for just about any interest you might have. There is a city band and a theater group. There is an art guild and a book club. These are only a few of the groups that exist, there are many more. Lander has an indoor swimming pool, a gardening center and of course a library. Why, I can't think of a thing missing and I’m sure I forgot to list quite a few activities.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great! I miss peace and quite. I think everyone could use a slower pace without so much hustle and bustle. T Gray

    ReplyDelete