Thursday, April 1, 2010

Finding Personal Sunshine on Stormy Days



Over Spring Break, due to being entirely fed up with the weather turning to such gloom and my best friend (who is lonely and having some tough luck right now) visiting/staying with me for the weekend, we decided to have a "mock-hawaiian Spring Break Luau Party," which really seemed to cheer her up, and made us forget about the snow/harsh weather outside!



I didn't use photos with our faces, as I try to keep their privacy, but I did take pictures for the memory, and the time.
I think the whole experience of having our own beach party in the middle of the winter, just a sort of girls night where we could watch movies that made us want to feel real sand and ocean. It only made me wish I could just escape, get away on vacation somewhere tropical. Even our own imaginary version of the beach wasn't anything like really experiencing it. I know that its our cheaper version, but I cannot help but imagine myself on a beach blanket, soaking up the sun, imagining the sounds of the ocean coastline.



My best friend really needed this experience. She lives in Fort Collins and after I have been trying to get her from being too depressed and hopeless, she dropped out of school for a semester. I think pressuring her to go back helped. She's re-enrolling, but completely changed her major. I'm just glad she hasn't completely given up. She had me really worried.
Sometimes, the city to me isn't really the places I go, its my interactions with people I know, people I meet, and the things we do. I'm just glad that I had the weekend to convince her to re-enroll in school, she's been so down lately. She just needs friends to help her though life. (:



When I was growing up, I had my own share of bullying. I was bullied by my best friends throughout elementry school and middle school. I know that this is often why I feel so close to underdog types, and truly why me and my best friend really are best friends. We had our large clique of girls in High School, that soon turned on her sophomore year- ostracizing her from the group. I was the only one who didn't turn my back on her. I've been there before. It tears people apart. So I was stronger and stuck by her. I didn't stop being friends with our group, but at the same time, I wasn't going to cave into pressures and ditch her. I'd like to think if I ever leave any mark on this world, that I make my own positive marks in every life I touch. I just don't understand why people can act so cruel sometimes.



Overall, I don't leave a friend. A friend in need, is a friend indeed. It's always been my friendship motto. But I know that this weekend wasn't just about the coconut bras and grass skirts, but it was really about showing my friend in need, how much I cared about her, and helping her realize she still had friends and a full support group back in Colorado Springs. I know that even if she wasn't going to admit it openly to me, she really knew she needed that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment