Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lost in Thought

As I look out my own window into the city of Colorado Springs, I realize that I never closely examine the nature of the place itself. I've been thoroughly confounded as to how I could go about this project, thinking deeply on what the city means to me, how I view it, and how it changes.
I know, as film/photography is my typical medium, I will create a short film/video for this project. But the subject is still debatable for me. I recently met an Architect while finishing a video for my internship, and we got into a deep discussion about the city and how it affects our own lives. She was describing how it fascinates her that the appearance of the city/its architecture has adapted and changed so much in the past hundred years alone. She was investigating a way to create an animation or visual documentation of the changes in certain areas of the city. She was mainly interested in the boundary changes in the counties themselves, and how many inaccuracies existed. However, she sparked my imagination of possibly creating a short video to represent the changes in as much as even the stores, or the construction of downtown colorado springs.
I think so many changes occur all around us, we never notice. We could be shocked and face it, or we could pass it by and ignore it. It would be interesting to me to document the changes of the city, as it rapidly develops.
The other idea I'm still toying with is the idea of existence of people and life in the city. People change so much as a result of their environment. My own grandfather used to say, "You are the product of your environment, and your environment is constantly changing." He was right. In reference to my documentary: urbanization of once spaced out housing can create conflict, adaptations and change. I would document these changes through documenting graffiti, inner-city gangs, the degradation of housing, development of barren land, improvement efforts of the community/city and the truth behind the increasing population of our city.
I'm not sure if I may even go with these, but I'm toying with the idea so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment