Monday, February 15, 2010

Exploring new places



Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while,

you could miss it.

Quote from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)


Wow! How time flies and I rarely seem to get out and see new places.

I think most of us have this problem of slowing down and taking a look around.

It is easy to get stuck in our everyday routines and dismiss many places and people we pass during our day.

So, I decided to break my mundane routine and get out and take a look around.

Deciding to stretch out of my comfort zone of where and what I know is a weird feeling. It takes thought and motivation to experience new places and people.

I started my exploration from my son’s gym (Front Range Sports Performance & Fitness), which is located in downtown Colorado Springs at the corner of Colorado Ave. and Sahwatch St. I usually stay inside the gym and watch my son and other athletes do their Olympic Weightlifting routines. Every now and then I peer out the garage door windows of the gym and see the Bargain Book Warehouse building, which is across Colorado Ave.

I had never gone checked out bookstore, even though it is right across the street. It has always intrigued me, especially during the summer months, when the Bookstore employs a guy waving a arrow sign along Colorado Ave. to attract customers. It is just across the street. So, why have I never taken the time to venture across the street and checked it out? I think several things had kept me from taking the time to check it out.

Time, the unknown or unfamiliar place and people.

So, I finally took the time to wondered over to Bargain Book Warehouse from the gym. The traffic is busy on Colorado Ave. Once I crossed the street and approached the old building I observed the buildings brick exterior, with neatly wood painted store signs that were placed into the old windows of the building. One of the signs had penciled giraffe, which stated books were on sale and several other statements. As I approached the front of the door, I felt a little hesitant because their were no windows and the glass door was covered with a paper “were open” sign and listed the hours of operation (everyday from 10-7). Once I was inside I greeted an older man behind the counter. It took him a little while to respond back to me. He seemed preoccupied with sorting out stacks of books at the check out counter. I asked him several questions and he seemed uncomfortable with my conversation, so I started to look around.

Here are a few pictures from my first exploration.


T Gray






1 comment:

  1. It seems like quite the adventure. Exploring the unknown...you've got guts girl.

    ReplyDelete